There has been a great deal of talk about living a balanced life, but for many it can be a difficult term to fully understand. After all, what may seem balanced to one person may not be so for another. So, what someone might see as the ideal way of living may be pretty much impossible for someone else. The key however is finding the right balance in yourself so that you can do what needs to be done while still having time for all of your other responsibilities.
Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life – learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. – Robert Fulgham
How to Identify the Balance in Your Life?
This may be the most difficult part of the task since you will have to step back and give an honest evaluation of where you are lacking in your life in order to achieve the best balance. Quite often, family and friends will voice their concerns, which should be taken into account. However, they are really not the best sources of information as there may be legitimate reasons why you are either spending too much time on your own pursuits or too much time in the service of other people.
So, you will need to do some proper evaluation first which will usually consist of examining your life and asking yourself where you could do better in terms of pursuing your own goals while still fulfilling your obligation to family and friends. While all of us can do better in both departments, the truth is that you should look at what you have recognized at the time and then ignored because of other interests. For example, if you intended to do some gift giving on your parents’ anniversary and simply put it off because of other, lesser interests, then you should look at your lifestyle to see where changes are needed.
1. Examine: A thorough evaluation is in order before you start taking steps to change your life. Remember that change will actually come slowly as you gradually adjust your life from stepping away from certain areas while paying more attention to other responsibilities. Again, this will take some effort, but the rewards will be well worth it. Remember to be honest with yourself and do not feel embarrassment over what has happened in the past that might prevent you from taking the proper steps towards your future.
2. Envision the Ideal: Now that you know where you are lacking and what you need to work on, the next step is envisioning your ideal lifestyle. Remember that ideal does not necessarily have to be fully obtainable, but you might be surprised at how many people have actually done what seems improbable in order to be the person they can be proud. For example, if money issues are at the heart of why you cannot live a balanced lifestyle, then you should definitely work on earning more money so that you can enjoy more out of life.
3. Create Goals: You should now set the proper goals in order to achieve the balanced lifestyle that you desire. Goals are like rungs in a ladder with the ultimate goal of leading a balanced lifestyle at the end. You should have your long-range goals written down and then your monthly and weekly goals as well.
4. Meditate: Meditation for a few minutes a day helps reduce the stress and tension in your life. It will also help you to refocus and put what you need to accomplish in order. That way, you can adjust better to the things that are happening around you.
5. Do a Little Each Day: Trying to change everything at once will probably lead to failing altogether. So, you should instead try to do a little each day to help balance out your life. A little gift giving here and there if you have been too self centered and a little “me” time for those who have given too much of their lives.
6. Evaluate: You should do a mini-evaluation every week or so when making your changes towards a more balanced lifestyle. Look back at what you accomplished in the previous week to see if you completed your goals. It helps if you had a list of things that you wanted to do so you can check them off. If you fell short, that’s okay as long as you make up for it in the following week.
7. Add: You should go a little at a time when you are changing around your life to provide better balance, so start with just one or two small things and work your way up. Actually, even just sticking to doing a few things each week will start to pay off in just a few months time.
8. Stay in Touch: Have you considered the number of people you want to make a better connection with as you start changing your life? If so, then gift giving should be one of the things you need to excel in when it comes to showing people how much you care. Even if you are doing too much for others that cuts into your life, you can replace it to a certain extent by purchasing a few gifts here and there.
9. Be There: Sometimes your presence alone is enough to make all the difference for your family and friends. So when it comes to those special occasions, be there for them. It doesn’t take much effort and you don’t have to stay to the end, but being there will reassure them all thanks to your presence.
10. Appreciate what you have accomplished: Making changes to your life is never easy, so appreciate the times when you do make the sacrifice. It will make the journey that much easier when it comes to what you want to do with your life.
11 Give: find self-satisfaction by giving and thinking of others, whether it is through thoughtful gift ideas, a donation or a helping hand. There is a certain sense of accomplishment, happiness and self-reward associated with this practice. Giving has been a part of human nature since time immemorial in one-way or another. It shows that we care for each other and that relationships are important part of who we are.
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. – Euripides
By taking a little time and effort, you can provide true balance in your life that will reduce your stress while allowing you to accomplish what you really want to achieve in the time you have been granted.
Next to love, balance is the most important thing – John Wooden